Are you using any cloud computing services for storage and processing?
Then you should definitely be aware of cloud monitoring solutions.
Cloud monitoring is the process of monitoring and managing cloud computing resources to ensure seamless operations. Usually, cloud monitoring requires automated and manual tools to review, analyze, and report the performance of various servers, applications, software, and sites present on the cloud.
Conducting regular cloud monitoring sessions helps in maintaining the various cloud infrastructure in its best health and avoid unnecessary expenditure and security issues.
In this blog, we’ll take a detailed look at what cloud monitoring could practically mean for businesses using cloud platforms.
Why Cloud Monitoring Is Necessary?
Many IT consulting firms stress the importance of cloud monitoring solutions due to its long-term benefits. Some use cloud monitoring as a part of a bigger cloud management strategy to get a complete view of the operations and performance of the cloud. And some others use standalone cloud monitoring tools solely for performance and security.
Whatever is the case, cloud monitoring is a prime necessity for organizations due to a number of reasons:
With automated cloud monitoring tools, you can find out the anomalies and emerging issues in the cloud before they become bigger. Often, these cloud monitoring tools have the ability to detect these issues before they become full-blown into a serious one. This way, you can considerably cut down a lot of money required to fix a major issue instead of resolving them when it’s smaller.
Cybersecurity is one of the top priorities of any business having an IT infrastructure. With a considerable portion of your IT system on the cloud, it’s crucial to have a strong cybersecurity system in place.
The cloud monitoring tools double as a cybersecurity tool to recognize the breaches in the networks. With monitoring tools, you can keep a constant eye on your cloud’s security and take immediate action when vulnerabilities are detected.
You can identify the breaches and cyber attacks in the network as soon as possible and take action before the damage is immense.
Quick Problem Resolution
One great advantage of using cloud monitoring solutions is the ease of figuring out the root cause of an issue.
You may have several cloud infrastructure present and it can be hard to find out the specific point from where the problem arises. And as time passes, most IT issues become bigger and bigger.
Since the cloud monitoring tools have an integrated control panel, it’s easy for the IT maintenance and support team to take one look at the dashboard and quickly trace the origin of an issue. This could save so much time, energy, resources and money when the problems can be analyzed and traced in a very short time.
Both the hardware and software of the cloud monitoring tools entirely rests with a separate host. Therefore, even when there are issues in your local IT infrastructure, the cloud monitoring system doesn’t get impacted.
Furthermore, you can scale up your cloud monitoring needs when your organization grows. You need to spend additional resources to procure hardware and install the software. Like the cloud service providers, you can seamlessly increase your cloud monitoring tools and continue using the platform without any interruptions.
Best Practices of Cloud Monitoring
If you’re planning to implement cloud monitoring in your organization, you need to be aware of a few best practices for efficient implementation.
- Be clear on what needs to be monitored – Often, companies make the mistake of monitoring everything and anything they can get their hands-on. This could only complicate matters and steal focus from the crucial metrics that need attention. So prioritize those metrics that should be regularly monitored on the cloud computing platform.
- Monitor the user experience metrics – You need to be aware of how user-friendly the platform is. So, when you decide on the few metrics to monitor, make sure to include response time, performance metrics and ease of access.
- Collect the data to a single platform – Spreading your data into different platforms can be the worst mistake you can ever make. Bring all the data to a single platform for easy and quick observation of the metrics.
- Separate the monitoring data – When you store your cloud monitoring data with your local system, you cannot access it when there’s a local issue. So, keep your monitoring data separate from the other systems for maximum efficiency.
- Automate the monitoring – Since the data rests on the cloud, you can script the cloud monitoring tool to run automatically and send you notifications when there’s any issue or anomaly.
- Keep an eye on the cloud service use and fees – Since cloud monitoring tools are flexible and scalable, your costs can increase when the usage scales up. The monitoring tool should calculate the usage on the platform and its appropriate costs to keep informed.
Since the infrastructure of the cloud service providers is already known, it’s easy to install, implement and customize the cloud monitoring tools. By providing central access to monitor the operations, functionalities and performance of the cloud, you can avoid issues that would otherwise become a major thorn in your IT system.
At LayerOne Networks, we offer cloud computing services along with data security and network support to keep your applications, software, servers and other infrastructure on the cloud up and running in its best state. Reach out to us to get a free quote of our cloud monitoring solutions.